Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My Cistern Runneth Over

Abby and Starfish
July 1st, 2014 - My Cistern Runneth Over

We woke up this morning expecting to be greeted by a tropical depression and indeed we were. The disturbance had certainly organized overnight and would soon develop into a tropical storm, Arthur, as we watched and waited during the day. Heavy bands of rain and thunder moved through our area throughout the day, but the increasing winds were the major difference from yesterday to today. As we looked through the sliding glass door, the Parrot Cays would disappear in the clouds and rain as band after band rained down on Elbow Cay. 
We were able to visit Tahiti Beach in the afternoon hours between rain showers. At one point, while wading through the shallows at Tahiti, I looked up and we were completely surrounded by storms on all sides. Still, it was worth the risk to get out of the house and do a little exploring. I know I use the terms beautiful and breath-taking frequently when describing Abaco, but even those words do not do this part of the world justice. Even amidst the clouds and rain, the beauty of this island paradise was evident. The turquoise waters of the Sea of Abaco seemed to radiate in the distance with stormy clouds as the backdrop of some heaven-inspired painting. Abby found yet another starfish and we, of course, found plenty of treasures to take back to the upstate with us. 
Abby and Granna at Taihiti Beach
Here's to hoping Arthur makes up his mind to turn north and in a hurry. But I am in the islands and with my family. My cistern runneth over!

Randomness:
  • On a rainy day like today, I enjoy turning on the VHF and following the events as they unfold throughout the day. 
  • Our golf cart spurts and sputters and the lights don't work. Again, must have gotten the last one on the island!
  • The island is in need of some major "repaving" of roads. With huge puddles due to the rains, I felt like I was going off road during my travels today.
  • This southern boy could not help but drive past Papa Nasty BBQ on the island. Can anyone offer a review of their BBQ?


1 comment: