Wednesday, July 9, 2014

What's Your Location

July 9th, 2014 - What's Your Location

Abaco Location

Today was a "typical" day on the island for us in that we went through our morning routine of eating breakfast, applying sunscreen, loading up the golf cart in preparation for a trip to North Beach. I suppose I use the term "typical" loosely. I try very hard not to take any of these days for granted for they are precious and hold a special place in my heart. We have one full day left on the island. And with the physical preparation involved in packing suitcases and working out travel details also comes a psychological preparation. You have to convince yourself that you are ready to leave and cross over back to reality. This is not always easy, but I am ready to be back home. Now, don't get me wrong. If someone walked up and offered me another week on the island I would take it in a heartbeat. 
Storm Brewin'
Our day at North Beach was uneventful, just the way we like it. The water was as calm as it has been the entire trip and the temperature was perfect. After three hours or so dark clouds made their presence known and soon after rain fell from the sky. We lounged around the house for the remainder of the evening. I grilled out hamburgers and we played a game of scrabble before calling "lights out" and heading to bed. Tomorrow, we plan to eat breakfast out and get as much beach and outside time as humanly possible. We are blessed to spend two weeks on this island, but you still learn quickly to make every moment, every day, count. A lot like life, I guess you could say. 

Happy Place
And now here I sit. Alone in a quiet house working on that psychological part I mentioned earlier in my blog. Quite honestly, I stared at my computer screen for 30 minutes not knowing what to type. But then, as I was going through my pictures from the day, I came across the screenshot I had taken of our GPS location on the island and it hit me. You work diligently preparing for a trip like this. Planning every minute detail and counting down the days until vacation officially begins. My mom and I had literally been counting down for 100 days or more. But as I sit here on the other side of our journey, I am reminded that vacations are special for a myriad of reasons. One of the most important being that vacations, and being on this island in particular, cause you to ask yourself "Where am I in life?" and "What's your location?" We will all return to families, work-related responsibilities, bills, you name it. Walking around in paradise for two weeks, admiring God's truly magnificent and magical creation, causes me to ponder where I am in life. What is important? What will I attempt to conquer next? How can I follow God's word more closely? How can I make a difference? How will I be different, and how will the world be different because of me, the next time I visit this island? Will God grant me another opportunity to visit?

Mom and Dad 
 I am big on reflection and the island provides a healthy dose of opportunities to do just that. More than anything, I am simply thankful. I feel like I am will always be a part of this special place. This island was around before me and will be around long after I am gone. But it holds a unique place in my heart and soul. Regardless of my location I can carry this island around with me wherever I may go. 







My Perspective

Moore Musings:
  • Depending on the weather, we might make an attempt to catch sunrise on Friday before we catch the 8 AM ferry over to Marsh Harbour. 
  • I will miss the view from the top floor our our rental home, TreEscape. I have remarked before that it is like a painting. It seems surreal. 
  • Little Abby is tired and homesick. She loves the beach, but misses her home and her dog. 
  • Already planning a final few blog entries for when I return to Greenville, SC. Want to put together some pictures in a video set to music as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment